This project is read-only.

getting started

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:05 PM

I followed the example, which seems really simple to me, but it will not build. I created a simple game that loads and displays one image. When I add the c# files as link and try to build I continually get:

Error 2 Type 'AvaWeb.AvaGame' is not defined. C:\Users\jdemarco\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\AvaSilver\AvaSilver\obj\Debug\MainPage.g.vb 44 31 AvaSilver

Error 2 Type 'MyNamespace.MyGame' is not defined.

I have tried everything I can think of. Are the directions correct and complete on the main page, or is there something else I need to do to get this working?

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Ok, turns out I had created the project under Visual Basic-> Silverlight, when I should have created Visual C# -> Silverlight.

Now I am getting somewhere.

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Ok cool let me know if you have any questions.

Mar 14, 2010 at 2:50 AM
Edited Mar 15, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Got my project at least able to start. Since this is just alpha release, I am not expecting miracles. Here are some things I have noticed so far. Some may be bugs, not sure.

• I get a very odd "Index out of bounds" exception when rendering text on one of my menu entries. It is always when the same one is selected. I can provide stack if you like. 
  • Input is very slow and unresponsive for me. It works, but I have to hit keys 10+ times. I have changed my code to handle keyboard and mouse events, but even still it is not quite working as it should.
  • I cannot draw any color other than white. --> "Shader file /SilverArcade.SilverSprite;component/Shaders/ssdrawcolor.ps not found." 
  • Draw can sometimes get called before LoadContent causing null pointer exceptions. It has happened in a number of places where I am loading content in some other class, outside of the game class. In XNA you are always assured that LoadContent will complete before any Draw takes place. This does not seem to be the case here. I had to move all my content loading in order to get past this issue.

I still have not been able to get into the actual game-play yet. Looking forward to your reply.

Edit: just wanted to post that I got the game running - minus draw colors and after rearranging most of the content loading. Now during gameplay I get this exception many times per frame:

A first chance exception of type 'System.IndexOutOfRangeException' occurred in AvaSilverSprite

Not sure what it is regarding. I have stripped the game down to a pretty simplified version of the one on the indie arcade. No shaders/Effects, No particles and smaller graphics. I wish I could get this running smoothly, I think its pretty close.

Mar 15, 2010 at 4:17 AM

Thanks for your feedback. This is exactly what I'm looking for to try to get it closer to doing most of what XNA does. Unfortunately I'll be on vacation for the next week so any fixes will be soon after that, but I want you to know that it's a high priority for me to address these issues.

Bill