Silversprite and FlatSilverBall?

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Does someone know enough about both Silversprite and FlatSilverBall to talk about the differences between the two? I just learned about FlatRedBall as a sort-of game engine that sits on top of XNA to further abstract the details of writing a game. I further noticed there was a FlatSilverBall that is kind of like FlatRedBall for Silverlight I guess.

Thanks for any input.

Apr 7, 2010 at 9:08 AM

FlatRedBall (FRB) is indeed a game-engine that sits on top of XNA. It takes care of lot's of basic stuff, so you don't have to bother. It's a very straight forward engine that helps speed up development alot.
FlatSilverBall (FSB) is the SilverLight version of that engine, it sits on top of SilverSprite. It is of course limited compared to FRB; e.g. no 3d support in SilverSprite, so no 3d camera like in FRB. Still, many of the functions work exactly the same as in FRB and just as it's true for 'normal' XNA games, it's also true for SilverSprite XNA games; it speeds up development.

I'm working on a FSB game myself; check it out if you're interested: http://www.keeweed.com/games-projects/hyperdodge-spacestuff/

Apr 18, 2010 at 10:53 PM

So FSB was created literally because of the existence of Silversprite to make development on that framework simpler? What a testament to the impact and significance of the Silversprite project!

Apr 28, 2010 at 8:00 AM

That's right.