This project is read-only.

Bad performance

May 9, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Hello,

currently I am working on a school project in which we are using Silversprite for our game. Unfortunately its not going that well. http://projects.woutervandongen.com/silverlight/ this game runs very slow and crashes the browser very often.

I have no clue as to what I am doing wrong here, maybe someone who reads this does. If there is any interest in seeing the source code just ask. Also I have updated to the latests Silversprite sourcecode which fixed a few things like resolution something that seemingly increased some speed.

Thanks in advance,

Wouter

May 9, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Hi Wouter

I had no problems viewing the game. The performance was fine and no crashes. It is obviously a work-in-progress so I don't know what is broken or what hasn't been completed. Have you tried other Silversprite games? Have you tred running the game from another PC, Internet connect, etc.?That might tell you if you are having a problem with your browser, your internet connection or your PC. I am having no problems with performance myself but I am not very far along.

May 10, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Hey,

Thanks for checking my game out. I have ran other silversprite games from silverarcade.com and they all ran fine on Chrome,Firefox and IE on a Core 2 Duo P8700 and an Athlon 3200+.

My games uses up 100% percent of the cpu on both computers using any browser. A few levels show noticeably lag. You may play the levels to advance but it would be easier to use the cursor keys left and right for that.

For optimization I have brought the Spritebatch.Start / End to one and it still lags. Any other ideas? I could also upload the sourcecode.

Thanks in advance,

Wouter

May 10, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Well I noticed Silverlight doesn't like recursion much, which I use for my updating and rendering. I will be fixing this wednesday, untill then I wont be able to report back regarding that issue.

May 11, 2010 at 1:34 AM

I will be focusing on performance over the next couple of weeks since I recently got my hands on an early release of a performance profiler for Silverlight. SilverSprite will never be as performant as native XNA since Silverlight isn't really tailored for the draw everything every frame style of programming a game. Typically it will be better at games where there are not hundreds of simultaneous sprites moving, but it doesn't seem like this is an issue here. Hopefully some of the improvements over the next month or so will help your game.

May 13, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Thanks for looking into that matter! :)

I have rewritten my tree traversal to use an iterative approach with stacks instead of recursion but i can't see significant improvement just so you know. http://projects.woutervandongen.com/silverlight/ you can still check the game here. If you need any help or feedback with the new code i'd be glad to help.

Thanks,

Wouter

May 18, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Hello once again! :) Our game programmer did something awe-full (add a background each update) which caused the game to slowdown. The is still online on the same address and runs fine now! :)