LAN/ONLINE multiplayer with silversprite

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Hello all,

I was just wondering if it is possible to have Online or LAN multiplayer with silversprite. A game we're making would be best suited if it was played through a browser. It's a game which has to be played with 5 people however, so if silversprite doesn't support it it would be a shame.

Thanks,

Dastrus

Developer
Oct 5, 2010 at 6:47 PM

The question aint really what silversprite can do, but what silverlight can do.
I guess what you need are sockets which i think silverlight supports.

Look into sockets in silverlight and see if that can do what you need.

Den 2010 10 5 16:50 skrev "Dastrus" <notifications@codeplex.com>:
> From: Dastrus
>
> Hello all,I was just wondering if it is possible to have Online or LAN multiplayer with silversprite. A game we're making would be best suited if it was played through a browser. It's a game which has to be played with 5 people however, so if silversprite doesn't support it it would be a shame.Thanks,Dastrus
>
>
Oct 6, 2010 at 6:05 PM

To answer the question more specifically the answer is yes well mostly.. with silverlight there is no peer to peer or even having the user host a silverlight server is still possible it is more difficult ( this is because of policy files required ). There is a good solution is to have your own game server have players connect to a lounge like system and join different games and have the game server itself just be a routing port to send out the game data to the required set of players. But yes sockets are avlaible in silverlight but have some restrictions like the policy file server is port 943 and only port 943 plus the server you are trying to connect to must be between port 4502 and 4532. By the way i learned when trying to do socketing that connecting to the server silverlight will automatically try and connect to a policy server first.