Performance Issues

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Hi there.

I'm currently having trouble with the performance of my silverlight game. I have done a variety of things to ensure that the garbage collector isn't responsible for the slowdown in the game such as using pools and not allocating memory within updates and draw calls.

The game seems to run fine at a steady framerate within XNA. However in silverlight, the framerate is somewhat choppy, and sometimes the game speeds up as if to catch up with frames it lost.

The game itself has an inbuilt mechanism to speed up if the player is doing well, however the random speed movements that occur have no association with this.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips, or suggestions to help smoothen the framerate and please give me your feedback.

Some people have had less issues than me with the game within a browser on their own systems, but have still had some framerate issues.

You can try out the game here, and please give me feedback on the framerate experience. There's no need to answer the questions at the end, if you manage to stay addicted playing the game for the full 3 minutes. :-)

http://www.justin-alexander.co.uk/starjet/TestPage.html

Cheers.