IMPORTANT: Additions to the Silverlight Toolkit and what it means for SilverSprite

Coordinator
Oct 5, 2011 at 6:00 PM

So this is what I've been waiting for, an official announcement from Microsoft on the new additions to the Silverlight Toolkit for Silverlight 5:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/eternalcoding/archive/2011/10/04/silverlight-toolkit-september-2011-for-silverlight-5-what-s-new.aspx

To sum up, in the new Silverlight Toolkit:

• You can now use your existing Content Projects from XNA in a Silverlight app
  • ContentManager is implemented
  • SpriteBatch is implemented
  • Input (Mouse and keyboard) is implemented
  • Effects are implemented
  • I think Render Targets are implemented too

So first of all, I'm thrilled this is being rolled into the Toolkit and happy to obsolete a ton of SilverSprite code. I think there is still a need for SilverSprite to fill in some gaps, like the lack of Game and GameComponent implementations, and some other things like simulating a gamepad, but the scope of this project just got a lot smaller.

I also think there may be some value in providing the option to render to a Canvas like SilverSprite did previously for cases where you don't have graphics acceleration available. What is unknown at this point is whether I can use the ContentManager and Input support from the toolkit but render the graphics using the Canvas renderer. Let me know if you think this is of value.

I plan on having a version of SilverSprite which leverages these new Toolkit features by the end of October.

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:39 PM

I know that the new 3d features work only on windows and not on mac. The spritebatch uses also the directX? If yes, it would be useful to have an implementation, which works on any os.

Coordinator
Oct 12, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Good point, there has been no word yet about 3D on Mac, and yes the new Toolkit stuff uses the 3D stuff under the covers. I have checked with the Silverlight team and they say that the non-graphical pieces (Content Manager, Input) should work without 3D support. My plans are to do the following:

1. Fill in the gaps for the new SpriteBatch support (Game and GameComponent classes, a ColorHelper, etc)

2. Provide a separate assembly to leverage the new Toolkit stuff where possible but render using SilverSprite's canvas rendering support and really focus on performance for this piece since the problem space is now a lot smaller, the content manager was a lot of work and needed a lot more, so it's good that is covered now.

Nov 11, 2011 at 10:47 AM

So when are we going to see updates to the SilverSprite codebase or releases?

Coordinator
Nov 23, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Sorry for the delays, I've been getting some new samples working over the last few days and should have something up this weekend. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Been waiting awhile for this. I think I'm just going to have to give up on it :(