An alternative content model?

Apr 16, 2009 at 12:26 PM
Just some ramblings while I've been playing with SilverSprite.  The main problem at the moment is using the xnb files - would it not be a good idea to support media files directly without any conversion as well (since Silverlight can handle jpg, png etc) and bypass the whole content importing and processing?  I know this breaks compatibility with XNA (could probably keep code level compatibility with keyed resources) but it simplifies the Silverlight side of things.

Thanks
Coordinator
Apr 16, 2009 at 1:22 PM
Edited Apr 16, 2009 at 1:24 PM
Paul,

Funny you should mention this. I checked in this capability on Tuesday. So if you pull the latest from the source tree, it will have it. There is, however, a limitation in this and that's why I used the XNB files to start with. In Silverlight 2, if an image is brought in as a JPG or PNG, you can't get at the pixel values or modify them. So you can't draw in color. So you can still use XNBs or now you can use PNG or JPG, but for PNG or JPG the pixel operations won't work and only the Alpha value of the drawing color is used.

There will be a new release in a couple of days and it will include this feature along with a few others.

Thanks,
Bill