Network + Silversprite

Apr 17, 2009 at 1:44 AM
Edited Apr 17, 2009 at 1:49 AM
hi guys, first, congratulations for the Silversprite project, thats awesome!!! :P
I've seen in the "Home" page that network doesnt works with Silversprite yet, so i was wondering if that is definitive or its not done yet????

Thanks
Coordinator
Apr 17, 2009 at 2:23 AM
I'd definitely like to implement something compatible with the interface to the XNA Xbox Live network API, but nothing has been done on this. If anyone was willing to try to tackle this it would be great but if not I hope to do it eventually.

Bill
Jun 3, 2009 at 3:22 PM
Edited Jun 3, 2009 at 3:23 PM

What is the recommended way to go about adding network support if we want our games to work in XNA and Silversprite? Do I need to implement a pattern to abstract the network layer and then just create a generic network layer in C# (for silversprite) and then a network layer in XNA to support the Live Network?

Coordinator
Jun 3, 2009 at 11:28 PM

Probably the best bet is to write an abstraction layer, or feel free to write the SilverSprite network libraries and contribute them :)

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:27 AM

really my question is if I write the network communication using the .Net Framework's network libraries will that run in silversprite and be the best technology to use to write it?

Coordinator
Jun 4, 2009 at 1:38 PM

In Silverlight you are limited to web services, raw http, or a limited range of TCP sockets. So you don't have access to the entire networking stack, and you are also limited based on security issues so you can't do peer to peer and all communications have to go through a server. You may want to look at WCF duplex communications since this can imulate a "push" interface reducing the amount of polling you need to do.

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:07 AM

What can I do if I wanna make a WCF to save High Scores of my Game in a Database. I tried consuming a service in my XNA project but I think at time when I'll try to run the application "Silversprited" in Silverlight won't work, because the Service Reference is the reference that's referenced in the XNA Project.

What can I do about this? Anybody did it?

Thanks and greetings