Future plans for SilverSprite

Coordinator
Jul 11, 2009 at 2:11 AM

Please give me feedback on this, I'll take silence as agreement.

My thinking at this point is to do one more Silverlight 2 release with a couple of bug fixes and then switch everything over to Silverlight 3. I think what's out there is "good enough" and there's so much more I can do taking advantage of some of the new features in Silverlight 3. Maintaining a Silverlight 2 version would be a lot of extra work and I don't think it will be worth it, if someone wants to use Silverlight 2 they can go back to the last Silverlight 2 release (coming soon).

Thoughts?

Bill

Jul 11, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Sounds reasonable to me!

Coordinator
Jul 12, 2009 at 3:51 AM

Just wanted to let you know that I started working in a branch of the code to try some things out using Silverlight 3 and my first change was to see if I could use a pixel shader to tint the images if a color other than white is specified in a draw call and I was able to get it working pretty easily. I haven't checked it in yet but this is a major step because now drawing with color won't require a new image to be created for each color and it will work with both XNB and raw image files (PNG or JPG). Drawing in color up to this point only worked with XNB.

This in itself is a huge step forward and may be worth a new release just to get that in there. I'll check it in after doing the final Silverlight 2 release.