Problem Loading Projects

Sep 13, 2009 at 6:10 PM

When I load up any silvelight/xna project I get these error messages:

Solution folders are not supported in this version of the application.

Solution folder 'Windows' will be displayed as unavailable.

Solution folder 'Xbox' will be displayed as unavailable.

Solution folder 'Silverlight' will be displayed as unavailable.

The project file '.....\{BaseFolderName}\Silverlight{ProjectNameFolder}\{ProjectName}.csproj' cannot be opened.

The project type isn't supported by this installation.

Can anyone help?

Sep 13, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Two things come to mind.

#1 Make sure you have "Microsoft Silverlight 3 Tools for Visual Studio 2008 SP1" installed. This has functionality in it that upgrade previous silverlight versioned projects to newer versions of VS. This is typically the problem when you had a project in Silverlight 2 and are trying to open it on a machine with only Silverlight 3 installed.

#2 I have about 20 mins of experience with the Express editions of Visual Studio, but if I remember correctly they have issues with solution files and only support project files? I might be misremembering here but hopefully one of these things help you.

Sep 13, 2009 at 10:27 PM

I have it installed. But I still get the error. I also have had VS for around 3/4 of a year now. Thanks anyway though, I think that would have been the problem. Maybe I'm downloading the wrong silverlight. Do you have a link to the one I may need?

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Yes this definitely sounds like an issue with using Visual Web Developer Express. I can see what I can do about coming up with some way to break up the solution into pieces to avoid this. The issue is that Visual Web Developer Express won't be able to load XNA projects so our solution that currently has both for testing purposes should be separated out.

Bill

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Ok then this looks like an XNA issue. Do you have XNA Game Studio installed?

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:00 AM

I have it installed.

Could it be that I have 3.1?

Sep 24, 2009 at 3:49 AM

Are there any people there?

Sep 24, 2009 at 5:44 AM

I'm here but I doubt I can offer much help.

1. What version of Visual Studio are you using? (e.g. Standard, Pro)

2. Have you tried opening up each project individually? This can narrow down the problem to a particular project or the solution. If you can open the projects individually, you could try creating a blank solution and adding each project to it.

Sep 27, 2009 at 3:53 PM

I'm using the free one. So I think Standard.

I tried to open it individually. It didn't work. Neither that blank solution idea.

Thanks though. :)

Sep 27, 2009 at 10:46 PM

The free one is Express. I believe the Express editions don't support solution folders. So you'll need to create a blank solution and add each project individually.

It seems like you can't open your SilverLight project. If that's the case, do you have Silverlight Tools installed? You can get SL2 Tools from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C22D6A7B-546F-4407-8EF6-D60C8EE221ED&displaylang=en and SL3 Tools from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9442B0F2-7465-417A-88F3-5E7B5409E9DD&displaylang=en. They install on top of Visual Web Developer, so you'll need to use that, rather than Visual C#. If you're not sure which version of the SL Tools you need, look in the .csproj file for you SL project. It should have a line similar to 

<TargetFrameworkVersion>v3.0</TargetFrameworkVersion>

This is the version you'll need to download.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:49 AM

Are you able to tell me step by step on how to do it. I will greatly appreciate it.

I looked and it says the "Platformer" Silver Sprite project targets 3.5.

That is the one I'm basing it on.

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:33 AM

Just letting you know that I saw your message. I am really busy right now, and I won't be able to help you for at least a few days.

Oct 3, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Okay. Thank you.