DXT compressed textures problem

May 12, 2010 at 2:43 PM
As I understand this:

Option 1: Add the .xnb file built by the Windows XNA Debug project, only uncompressed xnb files right now. The texture itself can be compressed, in XNA this is a property you can set, and it can make the texture file 4 to 8 times smaller. Make sure the build action is set to "Content".

the only compression I have found in XNA is to set it to DxtCompressed but when I use these compressed textures it get this exception that says the support for compressed files isn't implemented. What am I missing? I really need to make use of the compression or else the content will be to big.
Coordinator
May 12, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Are you getting the xnb files from a debug build of the XNA project? You can also use PNG, BMP, or JPG files which should yield much better compression.

May 13, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Yes I used the debug xnb files, and if the compression of the files it better with the non-xnb file I will be using that from now on.
Thanks Bill!

May 13, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Incidentally, are there any known performance benefits for using png/bmp/jpg over the uncompressed xnb textures?  (other than load times, presumably).

Coordinator
May 13, 2010 at 11:24 AM

No, besides load time and size of the XAP file it should perform the same.

Jan 2, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Was this ever resolved krackegott? I am having the same issue. The "fruit.xnb" provided in the SilverSprite example files works, but using xnb files from my game Debug yields the error about compressed xnbs not implemented. I checked the build options for my game, and there is an option under "Content Build" to compress content pipeline output files. This is unchecked by default, so logically it should be functioning.
I am using XNA 4.0 and SilverSprite 3.1