Jan 22, 2011 at 1:37 PM
Edited Jan 22, 2011 at 2:39 PM
NOTE: It's very important you respond to this thread, if you don't respond you are essentially casting a vote for me to move on to other projects.
Hi all, first I'd like to apologize for my absence over the last few months. I was having a bit of a personal and professional crisis and needed to completely shut down some of my activities to get through it. I'm happy to say that I've sorted it all out
and I'm looking to get engaged again. That being said, I'd also like to ask that anyone who is interested in being a contributor please contact me. I especially would like someone to take ownership of the ContentManager piece, but I'll take any help I can
I felt that I may have taken silverSprite as far as I could, but a few recent events have changed my mind:
1. Profiling tools have become available from Microsoft and others. There are probably some significant performance improvements that can be implemented, but it's been hard to track them down. Also, the claim that
ExEn has significantly improved performance in their library that was originally based on SilverSprite gives me hope.
2. Silverlight 5 looks like it will have an immediate mode 3D API. For those that don't know, XNA 2D drawing support actually draws in 3D under the covers, but hides that complexity away from you. SilverSprite most likely will be able to do the same thing,
and finally provide performance results more on par with native XNA. There is also the potential for SilverSprite to add 3D support.
3. More XNA 4 samples are available, which can provide good test cases for moving SilverSprite to XNA 4.0 API compatibility.
So the main questions that I need you to answer are:
1. Do you still care about SilverSprite or do you plan on moving to ExEn?
2. Do you want to help?
3. What would be your top 3 on the wish list for the next couple of months?
Thanks for your support, and I look forward to hearing your responses.