Silverlight 5

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:06 AM

Will be Silversprite updated to work with Silverlight 5?

Coordinator
Aug 10, 2011 at 1:43 PM
I've been working on this off and on, it's been hard since Silverlight 5 is in flux and things have changed significantly in the builds I have seen since the public Beta. I spun my wheels for a while trying to get things working on the Beta but I had to abandon it. My new plan is to work against the latest private builds I have received and have something ready when a new public build of Silverlight 5 is ready.
My first goal is to get the current stuff working (using Canvas or WriteableBitmap instead of the new 3D stuff) on Silverlight 5, which looks like it will be the harder part, and then I'll be adding a new renderer which takes advantage of the hardware accelerated 3D stuff that's new to Silverlight 5. I hope to continue to offer the old rendering modes as well as the new one since there will be cases such as when working with text or supporting platforms that are not hardware accelerated where you may want to fall back to "classic" mode.
Aug 10, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Thanks for the news, I understand it very well, it's useless to code for a beta that has already changed. By the way, I saw that SL 5 will have a new object for sound effect, which seems to be ported from xna, is it correct? Is it performing better than the media element? About one year ago I tested the media element for sound effects but it had a start delay, which made it unusable for any type of game, that needed instantaneous sounds, like sound effects. It was like see the lightening and half second later hear the thunder.

Coordinator
Aug 10, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Yes the SoundEffect support in Silverlight 5 should remove all of the previous issues with sound effects (and let me obsolete a good amount of code)

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:08 AM

I'm really looking forward to seeing this!  Hoping RenderTarget2D will be better supported, but also excited to see some of the 3d accelerated stuff in browser.

Sep 17, 2011 at 10:10 PM

How is the SL 5 work going?  I can't find any good 2D SL5 examples so I can't wait until silver sprite is ready.

Coordinator
Sep 18, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Thanks for the interest. There are some major things in the works, nothing I can announce at this point, I assure you that you will not be disappointed. Look for news by the end of this month.

Oct 2, 2011 at 6:02 AM

So September's over.  What's the news?

Coordinator
Oct 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Well I thought it would be September... definitely October or very early November at the latest. Sorry for the delay, I promise it will be worth it. 

Oct 6, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Great work, Bill! Looking forward to the upcoming releases. I'm excited to use the new performance enhancements to finally be able to (I hope) port a game to the browser that I've been wanting to.

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:37 PM

Hi Bill

I have just read this article about the new version of the silverlight toolkit:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/eternalcoding/archive/2011/10/04/silverlight-toolkit-september-2011-for-silverlight-5-what-s-new.aspx

At this point I'm asking myself, which classes of xna are still missing in silverlight?

Does silversprite still make sense?

Coordinator
Oct 11, 2011 at 11:44 PM

See this post :) http://silversprite.codeplex.com/discussions/274886