This project is read-only.

an XNA compatibility layer for Winrt (Win 8) based on SilverSprite?

Sep 24, 2011 at 2:19 AM

I'm still waiting to get to the point where I can announce future plans for SilverSprite in Silverlight 5, but another interesting opportunity has arrived. You may have noticed that XNA is not supported in WinRT (Windows 8 Immersive apps) and it doesn't look like Microsoft has any plans to support this. The SharpDX library has already been ported to WinRT, so it should be possible to use that as the renderer under the SilverSprite core logic to provide 2D (and potentially 3D) libraries compatible with XNA.

I think there would be signficant changes, and there are many changes in store for the current code base for Silverlight 5 (which would make the two projects diverge significantly), so I think the best idea would be to fork the code and start a new rebranded project. I unfortunately do not have the time to lead the WinRT port but would love to see it so if you're interested in heading up a project like this let me know and I will offer whatever assistance and support I can. I will be continuing to update SilverSprite for Silverlight 5 and more news on that soon.

I think this is very possible and would be a great contribution to the community.

Oct 2, 2011 at 7:01 AM

Hey Bill,

Can't wait for the SL5 news.  The suspense is killing me.

Bryan

Jan 2, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I made an attempt earlier to port silversprite to WinRT/XAML. It didn't go very well. There were missing features that made basic things like sprite tinting impossible, plus no effects at all. A better bet would be to implement Xna over C++/DirectX11.1 and have silversprite be kind of a "port" of the silverlight 5 xna api to winRT/XAML. I think that should be a separate project though. 

Mar 7, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Why don't you join forces with the Monogame project? They are really advanced in 2D support, and a new version will be released soon with OpenGL ES 2.0 and basic shader support. It's on their roadmap the WinRT support!

http://monogame.codeplex.com

https://github.com/mono/MonoGame