Can SilverSprite run without enableGPUAcceleration=true?

Sep 7, 2012 at 3:26 AM

I have my 2D games running using SilverSprite for Silverlight 5. I just came to the realization that users who want to play my games will need to go into their Silverlight Properties, click the "Permissions" tab, find my website url, and click the "Allow" button, then click ok, so my game can run. I've read about others having the same problem with enableGPUAcceleration=true in Silverlight.

Unfortunately, asking end users to do such a thing will result in very few of them getting to the game. Especially when I want this game on Facebook, where too many clicks/instructions means a huge number of people will not play.

So, my question is, can SilverSprite run without enableGPUAcceleration=true?

Perhaps the SL4 stuff will run without it. I'll be diving in to find out, but if anyone out there knows, I would greatly appreciate any information you may have.

Thanks,

Jared

Coordinator
Sep 7, 2012 at 4:17 AM

If you want to do this, you want to run the Silverlight 4 version. It’s still there in the source tree, moved to SL4, or you can get the previous download before it was switched to SL5. I kept it available so that you could use it if you wanted to do something without requiring special permissions.

I agree that it sucks that SL5 needs special permissions and that’s one major reason why I’m not really doing anything with SilverSprite anymore. I’d love for someone who is passionate about the project to keep it going, but there’s project ExEn out there if you want a better supported framework.

I’m really happy that SilverSprite led the way for MonoGame and ExEn so the project was more successful than I ever dreamed but I just don’t have enough interest personally in keeping it going.

Bill

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:35 AM

Bill,

Thanks for the reply. I'll look at the SL4 version and ExEn. I thought ExEn wasn't really being worked on either though?

Jared

Coordinator
Sep 7, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Note that to use the Silverlight 4 version you will need to create a Silverlight 4 application because with the built in stuff in SL5 you'll get conflicts if you try to use the SL4 version there. I actually have never tried ExEn so I can't help you there