My notes from a successful conversion

May 8, 2009 at 5:47 PM

First of all, awesome library! This is just what I needed!

My "Space Invaders" like game runs exactly the same - no lag whatsoever! (not that it was all that graphically intense)

Here are the items I had to take care of:

*Bmp would not load. - Had to convert to PNG files using "The Gimp"

*Wav files would not load - Had to convert to mp3 using "FFMPEG"

*Had to reread directions(my bad) and make sure all my images and sounds were set to content in the properties window for each one.

*Was using RectangleF from System.Drawing for collision detection which is unavailble in Silverlight. Switched to SilverSprite.Rectangle works fine for my needs.

*Once those were fixed game ran immediately but the my game was obscured. only part of the play field showed (its 1000x400). I started messing around with width and height in the xaml but that wasn't it. Finally figured out based on the "snake game demo" that I needed to set graphics.PreferredBackBufferWidth  graphics.PreferredBackBufferHeight to my game field size - that was it!

That was really it! Amazing library. Thanks a bunch!

Coordinator
May 10, 2009 at 1:04 AM

Awesome, glad it went so well for you. You know, I could probably support BMP, there is a C# based decoder for it, I'll look into that. Most of the other things you mentioned are surrent limitations in Silverlight that we need to deal with, hopefully some will go away with subseqent Silverlight releases.

Bill

May 26, 2009 at 4:02 AM

What directions are being referred to by dtigweld when he says "*Had to reread directions(my bad) and make sure all my images ...."???

I have looked around for directions and have found none.

Thanks

Coordinator
May 26, 2009 at 10:15 AM
Edited May 26, 2009 at 10:16 AM

The instructions as they exist right now are on the main page http://www.codeplex.com/silversprite and these are the ones he's referring to. I hope to have some better instructions soon. If you have any specific questions please reply here, create a new discussion post, or send me a message.

Thanks,

Bill

May 26, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Oh right I have seen those. Ok, thanks